Flying Horse Printmaking Workshop Featured in Orlando Sentinel

July 12, 2012

“So there I was, knife in hand, hoping that no blood would be spilled in the creation of my art.

Sounds like a mad scientist at work, but really, it was a cozy evening at the Mennello Museum of American Art where I was about to create my own art print.

This was something of an occasion: I can’t even draw stick figures with any sort of artistic flair.

But I was not alone. Ashley Taylor and Tyler Owens of the UCF Print Collective were on hand to lead a gathering of likeminded artist wannabes through the process of making linocuts.

The workshop was one of the activities offered in conjunction with the Mennello’s “Imprints” exhibition, which marks 20 years of achievement by Flying Horse Editions, the University of Central Florida’s fine-arts press.

Other activities continue during the exhibition, which closes Aug. 12.

Flying Horse, which is a nonprofit project of the School of Visual Arts & Design, is housed in the UCF Center for Emerging Media in downtown Orlando. The press, among just a dozen or so in the nation, is a collaborative research studio committed to creating works by nationally known artists that fuse traditional and innovative printmaking processes.

Artists who work at Flying Horse use woodcut, lithography, letterpress and silkscreen techniques, along with intaglio — which can involve copper plates and acid.”

Read the full article at the Orlando Sentinel.